Mission & Vision
Cuba Libro, a coffeehouse and English-language bookstore, is an ethically- and socially responsible cultural center dedicated to building, strengthening, and supporting the Havana community in which it operates.
Through a variety of services, cultural activities, and literary- and educational-related initiatives that are accessible to Cubans and visitors regardless of age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or financial resources, Cuba Libro serves as an example of socially-responsible business in Cuba’s emerging private economy.
Sharing our experience and know-how, we help other businesses and entities flourish while fulfilling social missions and commitments to the surrounding community – a critical component in Cuba’s evolving economy if the country’s social justice achievements are to be retained and fortified moving forward.
Cuba Libro is a coffeehouse and English-language bookstore providing a prototype of socially- and ethically-responsible business in Cuba’s emerging economy. Through free cultural programming, high-quality literature, community outreach and a variety of services designed to improve the health and well-being of our community, we demonstrate how new, private businesses can do good and do well.
Cuba Libro serves as a beacon of social entrepreneurship by supporting and building on Cuba’s social justice and humanistic achievements realized over the past 50+ years. Through policies and practices based on a philosophy of accessibility, equity, equality, and good cheer, Cuba Libro aims to provide a model for socially-responsible business in Cuba, with a specific goal of helping others replicate this model.
Founding principles include:
- Cuba Libro will be accessible to all, regardless of national origin, race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or financial resources;
- Cultural events will be free and open to the public;
- Cuba Libro staff will earn a dignified salary and a share of the profits; they are guaranteed non-discriminatory hiring and firing practices, and healthy, comfortable working conditions;
- Community outreach through educational initiatives, donations, cultural events, solidarity and consultation with our neighbors and community will inform all our of our policies and practices;
- Core values at Cuba Libro – treating others fairly and with respect, honesty, transparency, understanding, and compassion will be emphasized and demonstrated at every available opportunity;
- Promoting environmental stewardship and protection;
- Supporting Cuban youth through skill-sharing, job opportunities, active consultation on decision-making and continuing education to help younger Cubans envision a future in Cuba, rather than on foreign shores;
- Advocating and implementing a collective decision-making model;
- Cooperation among many, rather than the control and direction of a few, to achieve excellence, will be used as both a means and end; and
- Cuba Libro is an alcohol- and reggueton-free zone.
By pooling resources, energy, and ideas, Cuba Libro sets the course forward to a better, brighter, and healthier future for the country and its people. Through teamwork exemplified and motivated by all sectors – individuals, public, private, local and international – we are confident we can help build a stronger, more resilient society.
Want to learn more about Cuba Libro? Please feel free to get in touch. If you’d like to make a tax-deductible contribution to our health and cultural initiatives in Havana, you can donate through Friends of Cuba Libro.